woensdag 12 oktober 2005

Coralie


Oh joy: when I was playing records last Sunday afternoon at an Amsterdam café, I squeezed Coralie Clement's Samba de mon coeur qui bat in my set. One beautiful girl at a window table sang along (well, mouthed along) with the whole song. She did not look my way, maybe because her boyfriend was looking curious at her.
Coralie Clement (sister of Benjamin Biolay) is one of my favourite filles sourires - her uncertain, breathy voice tickles bodyparts I did not know could be tickled by a singing voice. She made two albums, the smokey-jazzy Salle Des Pas Perdus, and the more rocking Bye Bye Beauté. Both produced and almost totally written by Biolay. On BBB she gets songwritinghelp from Daniel Lorca of American rockband Nada Surf, who also duets with her. Both albums are great; Salle enforced my obsession with les filles sourires in a big way, but is maybe a little too smokey for some. BBB has a Calexico/desertrock-vibe that's also apparent on Biolays duet-album Home (with Chiara Mastroianni). Although I think girl from the north country Francoiz Breut excels in this French take on southern mariachi-influenced rock, Coralie's mischievous promises stir thoughts best shared in a low whisper.

From Salle des pas perdus: Mes fenêtres donnent sur la cour
Hear Here.

From Bye Bye Beauté: Indécise
Hear Here.

3 opmerkingen:

  1. She's my favorite fille sourire. Bye Bye Beaute is fantastic!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. I'd have to go for "Salle," but "Bye" is also a very strong album. "Indecise" is such a great song it almost outshines the rest of the album. I also adore the use of brass in "Indecise." More please, Coralie! R:)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Lovely though his sis is, it's Benjamin Biolay who's the genius: boy, can that guy arrange music! He's as good as Mr. Gainsbourg. Uhuh.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen