maandag 19 december 2005

Françoise (5)



Yesterday, I saw the movie Les Invasions Barbares (Oscar winner in 2004). I love movies with agitated French men, especially when they lash out the way Rémy (played by Rémy Gerard) does. The story is in the same vein as movies like Simon or Mar Adentro - a terminally ill man looks back upon his life, teaches and learns a few lessons. Rémy is rooted in the swinging sixties (very funny is the scene when he and his friends look back on all the -isms they hailed), and the movie has black-and-white images of Julie Christie (in bed) and Françoise Hardy (crossing the street). The last song in the film is L'Amitié by Hardy. Great way to spend a Sunday afternoon, really great song.

Françoise Hardy - L'Amitié
Hear Here.

2 opmerkingen:

  1. The Barbarian Invasions is actually a follow up/sequel to Franco-Candaian director Aracand's Love & Human Remains. I'm glad you enjoyed it!
    I had a bit of a hard time of it because i was dealing with some loss at the time but I appreciate the levity and also the power of unconventional families expressed in the films.
    I had so much of a hard time with the Barbarian Invasions - I was losing a family member at the time - and actually spending most of my time in the hospice - that I didn't pick up on the Francoise Hardy track!
    Thanks for pointing it out! It's lovely.
    And also, thanks again for your wonderful site!
    I'll get up to speed after the holidays!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. I have to see that first movie, Love & Human Remains, thanks for the tip. I can imagine that if you're going through a rough period yerself, Barbarian is a tough ride. The actor who plays Simon in the movie of the same name, said in an interview in the magazine I work for that he stopped going to that movie - audience members couldn't handle the fact that he dies onscreen, and sits at the bar afterwards.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen