zondag 19 februari 2006

Kazumi & Maia

Whilst clicking away on eMusic, I ran into Kazumi & Maia, two Japanese filles who made one album last year. Maia is the daughter of Pierre Barouh, affiliated to the Saravah-label (also home to Filles Sourires-faves Elisa Point and Bia) and, as I understand from this profile, quite a character. I'd never heard of the guy - something tells me my good online-fried Roar has - or his music, but L'Amitié is quite interesting. It has great variety in styles, from gypsyjazz to odd exotica to straight chansons - with an experimental streak. Can't say everything is my cup of (jasmin) tea, but I'm glad I've stumbled on at least this cray Caravan-cover.

Kazumi & Maia - L'Amitie

Kazumi & Maia - Caravan

2 opmerkingen:

  1. Hi Guuzbourg :) Yes I'm a big fan of Pierre Barouh. Incidentally he's on my next mix at qqf, plus I included his Saudade recording on one of the first mixes on the same blog, a recording some people believe to be the first bossa nova recording made outside Brazil (around 1960). Barouh isn't much known at all, though his cooperation with Francis Lai resulted in a very famous film themes: "Un homme et une femme." I read somewhere that the royalties from this recording helped him set up the Saravah label. However his own records are very hard to find. A genuine pity...

    Anyway, thanks for your share here. I didn't know about his daughter :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen