donderdag 16 maart 2006

Amélie



She was to become either a coiffeuse or a chanteuse, but chose the latter. Twenty-something Amelie, who fronts the band Amélie-Les-Crayons, looks exotic, but her music is in the vein of the old masters - Brassens, Duteil, Anne Sylvestre. Her shows are quite theatrical, as I understand from her bio, and caught the eye of various award-jurys. Her album came out in 2004, and she's currently touring. She writes songs (lyrics and music) behind the piano, which feels like colouring a drawing, hence the name - at least, that's what I understand. She sings about girls and girlie problems and worries, about unfaithfulness and love.
The song posted here is taken from the Putumayo-compilation Paris, releasedate April 18, that also features Carla Bruni, Paris Combo, Myrtille and Pascal Parisot. On April 23, Myrtille will play at the Amsterdam release-party of the album @ Odeon. Guess who's deejaying!

Amélie-les-crayons - Ta P'tite Flamme

11 opmerkingen:

  1. Wow, you really keep the good stuff coming! thanks as always!
    We gotta get you a DJ gig here in DC!!!!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Ooh, and there's a lotta good stuff on it's way: new live album by Camille, new album by Jane Birkin, new album by Emilie Loizeau, box of Gainsbourg-versions. My poor creditcard, it's smoking.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Talk about good stuff: Charlotte Gainsbourg made an album with Air, and got help from Neil Hannon (Divine Comedy) and Jarvis Cocker. OMG! Aujourd'hui En France will be released this summer.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Talk about credit cards - yikes at least you live in europe and don't have to pay frightening US import costs - I don't even want to get into what I paid for the latest Gainsbourg comp.
    I'm excited about the Charlotte Gainsbourg album - I really like her and admire way she's come out strong and grounded and on top despite her crazy, sensational parents.
    Keep it coming, we're enjoying it - thx!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. Dear friends from the US: nothing is stopping you from ordering on line from Québec at Archambault!

    You can shop in English and they deliver to the US:
    http://www.archambault.ca/store/

    Prices are often cheaper than in Europe, even for European things.

    I luckily do not have a credit card :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. Say that, OMG! Charlotte Gainsbourg and Air could be a very exciting marriage. Well, at least I'm already pretty excited :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. Just beautiful! Thanks for the link to her (their) web site; the several clips from the latest release are excellent.
    And I eagerly look forward to more Camille. I just this week received my 2 cds (Les Sac Des Filles & Le Fil) from Amazon.com (Maybe next time, I'll try the Quebec online store.)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  8. très chouette titre... Rappelle un peu Edgar de l'est. Merci pour la découverte.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  9. I've been digging through your posts for the past 20 minutes and really love what I've found. This is fantastic stuff.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  10. When I first heard Amelie, I was enchanted. It took a bit of digging, but I managed to find her discs at CD Baby in the US. Thanks for the tip!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen