zaterdag 4 maart 2006

Françoise (7)



While waiting on that Gainsbourg-tribute-cd and the new Emilie Simon-album (and I'm sure I'm gonna order this box as well), here's two oldies by Françoise Hardy. Recently a double cd with the dreamy Star (from 1977) and J'Écoute De La Musique Saoûle ('78) has been reissued - Natash(k)a was so kind to give me the little box. Both are so-so albums, on Saoûle Hardy tries to get more danceable or something, maybe under the influence of the upcoming disco-age. Star is better, great strings on the nearly 8-minute long title-track, a song co-written with Janis Ian.

This Tuesday I'm off to NYC for a week (if my back-injury will allow me to) - so far I'm going to see Kelley Polar @ Knitting Factory. Any other must-see's or must-do's?

Françoise Hardy - Star

Françoise Hardy - Hallucinogène

7 opmerkingen:

  1. I seen Star in the stores - i can't remember if I already have it - my collection is a mess.
    Have a great time in NYC - I'll do some research to see if there are any other shows/events you and the Mrs. should check out.
    Actually, i don't think you're missing much by way of the cancelled Gainsbourg tribute. It would be one thing if John Zorn reassembled some of the players from his great Jewish music project - but the bands for the cancelled show are a bit young and inexperienced even though I adore their spirit...

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. I'm with you on the Gainsbourg boxset, definitely looks great.
    Though i'm afraid with all the G. releases (the tribute, the remastered reggae albums, the 78 live at Le Palace ...) coming out to be quickly short of cash :/
    Nice blog, you've got here, BTW.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Star and the smooth A Vannes make Hardy's Star album worth the money. In general I prefer her 60s albums, but my favourite is Le soleil. Anecdote: when I first listened to Le soleil and heard the loud rock (?) guitar in the intro to the first track, my heart sunk 6 feet (yes) and I wanted to chuck the album into the garbage bin. Ten-fifteen minutes later: different story... ;)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Go to St. Marks street and buy all the vinyl you can get your hands on. Go to Bleeker street and buy all the vinyl you can get your hands on. Stay in Greenwich village and buy more vinyl.

    That's why God made the euro worth more than the dollar :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. I'm not sure if the mrs. would see that as a great way to spend time in NY, Natasha, but I'll ask her ;-)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. Fantastische site! Bedankt! Dat je nog lang mag doorgaan!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. Well I'd let you shop for vinyl and nip off for clothes :)

    1. MANDATORY: Pick up the Village Voice and read the listings!

    Go to the Whitney museum on 72 and Madison and soak up some abstract art.
    Go to The Village Vanguard and soak up some jazz. OK, it's pricy, but you can brag aftterwards.
    Soak up some cider at the Red Lion (151 Bleeker) and soak up some blues at the same time.

    The Russian tea room for a drink is impressive (W57th bet 6-7th) Then you can pop into Central Park and go to the MOMA all nearby. Up the Empire State building is fun as well.

    Someone stop me, I miss NYC!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen