zondag 2 april 2006

Vanessa

Vanessa Contenay-Quinones, with a name and looks like that, I'm sold. She used to be a dance-diva, released two albums under the Espiritu-moniker and worked with Tom Middleton, A Guy Called Gerald and Jon Carter's Monkey Mafia. After that, she recorded with none other than Lou Reed, and met with Swedish production team Andreas Mattson and Niclas Frisk, who persuaded her to make a dreamy, indierock take on French sixties-pop. Guitarplayer James Iha (ex-Smashing Pumpkins) got onboard of Vanessa and the O's, their first album La Ballade d'O (released in 2005, and to be re-released later this year) refers to Velvet Underground, Stereolab and Dutronc-ish ye-ye pop. Love her husky voice, and the big, widescreen guitars. Check her MySpace-site to for the video to Charlie Charlie.

Vanessa and the O's - Charlie Charlie
Vanessa and the O's - Cruels et Tendres


(merci รก Joris Stereo)

5 opmerkingen:

  1. I saw the cd at the record store down the street a few months ago and balked at buying it for some reson or another; I realised my mistake and now I've been desperately trying to find it in the US ever since.
    I enjoyed Vanessa's Espiritu album (which fell into the downtempo/trip-hop dance vein that was popular in the late nineties) very much - I'll have to dig that one up - and I like this direction even more! Their website streams most of the album and it is quite nice!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. o yes, i like vanessa very much. been following her since the espiritu days.
    apparently she's doing guest vocals on the new scott walker album.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. O O o yes me too robert..i like her very much, I read she is on the new scott walker album someplace too..she is absolutely ravishing on her myspace site my god even better blonde!!! Skunkeye is right there this direction with heer singing half french is even better and with that Nico-esque husky tone and kind of almost innocent but sexy delivery, bittersweet dreamy thing ooh yes mama more please!! And those boots...arghhhh stop it!!!!!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Oooh Can you please re-upload those songs again or send them to me? I will be so grateful!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen