donderdag 30 november 2006

Belinda

February next year, Voilà will be released, the new album by former Go-Go's-singer Belinda Carlisle. In the eighties, she had massive solo-hits with Heaven is a Place on Earth (sampled by Orbital as well) and Leave a Light On. The redhead, who posed for Playboy in 2001, has had a knack for France and French music for a long time. Voilà therefore is a collection of covers, ranging from Serge & Brigitte's Bonnie & Clyde (that was featured here before) to Piaf's Sous le Ciel de Paris. Voilà was produced by John Reynolds (who worked with Indigo Girls and U2), Brian Eno was on keyboards and Natacha Atlas on backing vocals. Belinda's vocals are (and were) a bit of an acquired taste, and so is her accent. Still, her dedication and love for Gallic musique should be applauded, even if her semi-erotic version of Contact (no one can top Brigitte, so why try harder?), or the dance-version of La Vie en Rose are ill-advised.
But Hardy's Ma Jeunesse Fout Le Camp, with those say-goodbye-to-my-youth-lyrics, is a very wise choice. It also gives me the chance to (re-)post the original, Entrée d'Artistes. If anyone recognises her, please let me know. We've identified her, she's called Marie Louva.

Belinda Carlisle - Ma Jeunesse Fout le Camp
Françoise Hardy -Ma jeunesse Fout le Camp (Hardy on YouTube)
Lola Dutronic - Ma Jeunesse Fout le camp
Marie Louva - Ma Jeunesse Fout le Camp

15 opmerkingen:

  1. Could be interesting... I found her version of Bonnie and Clyde to be kind of tiresome, though, and a I shudder to think of Belinda warbling Piaf!!!!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. I was surprised to see her do this. I remember buying the Leave A Light On single only for it's cover :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. you and me both baby.

    Skunkeye: how does the new Françoise Hardy-cd grab you?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Il me semble qu'"Entrée des Artistes" est une sorte de télé crochet pour jeunes chanteurs anonymes, faisant partie intégrante d'une émission télé dominicale appelée "chanter la vie"... émission destinée plutôt, si je puis me permettre, au 3ème âge en France (genre musette, accordéon, vieilles chansons). Donc difficile de savoir comment s'appelle le chanteur...

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. Elle s'appelle Marie.
    http://www.fnacmusic.com/album/bde4e686-af67-42e7-ad33-f3f504c09d41.aspx

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. I am a recent reader of this blog so perhaps it's already mentionned in an older post that Hana Hegerova made a beautiful cover in Tchekian of this Hardy song "Bože můj, já chci zpět"

    Hegerova seems to be known in France where she performed several times in the Olympia and where she received "l'Ordre pour le Mérite de l'Education artistique de l'Académie française"

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. no-one mentioned that version before, and I'm intrigued. if you happen to have an mp3 of Hana's cover, please share!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  8. Hana's version of Comment te dire adieu is welcome too - I heard a sample, it's....interesting.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  9. I have both songs. I hope you will forgive my ignorance but I don't know how I can share them for you. Please let me know

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  10. The new Francoise Hardy hasn't come out in the US yet - Tower records is going out of business and they were usually pretty good about getting the big name French releases fairly fast.
    To be honest, the Julio Iglesias duet scares me and I haven't even heard it yet!!! The last album didn't make much of a lasting impression on me but maybe I should re-visit...
    She should just have Biolay write and produce the whole damn thing next time (although Biolay is getting a little dull himself)!!!
    The more I think about it, the Belinda Carlisle French album makes sense to me - her voice is limited in the same vein as Bardot, Vartan, and a whole host of others in the grand canon of Gallic female pop! :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  11. the Belinda Carlisle french album coulda been a bad idea...but it is not. What a suprise. So far I love it.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  12. The program was called 'Entrée d'artistes' (not 'Entrée des artistes'). I found that the singer was called Marie. So, it is: 'Marie - Ma jeunesse fout le camp'!!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  13. NEWS! Le singgle de MARIE LOUVA intitulé " PORQUE " va sortir d'ici quelques semaines. Un deux titres d'été! Bises à tous et toutes

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  14. En avant-première, vous pouvez découvrir le premier titre de Marie louva: "Porque" sue le site myspace.com:
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=2038683902
    En espérant que ce titre vous plaire, je vous souhaite bonne écoute.
    Le single sera dans les bacs dans quelques semaines.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  15. The correct web site for Marie Louva is http://www.marie-louva.com.
    Bye ;-)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen