woensdag 31 januari 2007

Frères Sourires Finale: Brel covered



As promised, we're closing the Month of Male with a top 15 of the bestest Brel-covers by men. Yes, I know I said Top 25 before, but how many Ne Me Quitte Pas-versions can you take?
I left out the four covers already posted (Pierre Lapointe's version should be in this list, though). And I've added a few miscalleneous versions. Thanks to Gerwin, SOM, John, Billy and everyone else who has send me emails and tips about coverversions.
NOTE: ALL FILES ARE DOWN
Hors Categorie

Dusty Springfield - If You Go Away (Ne Me Quitte Pas)
Best coverversion ever. Nuff said.

1. Scott Walker - Next
2. Gavin Friday - Next
3. M - Au Suivant
These versions of Au Suivant really stand out. They differ a lot: Walker does a stiff-upper-lip-take, Gavin foames at the mouth, and M adds some modernity. Walker's Brel-cd is a must-have, by the way. The Gavin Friday-cover is a very rare live-version,recorded by Dutch radio in Amsterdam.

4. Herman van Veen - Liefde van later (Chanson des Vieux Amants)
5. Luc de Vos - De Sluiswacht (L'Éclusier)
Jacques Brel in Dutch, no thanks. Except for these two versions. Herman van Veen is a living theatrical legend in Holland (and succesful in Germany too), Luc de Vos fronts the Belgian rockband Gorki, and has so much melancholy in his voice, you should keep a handkerchief nearby.

6. Tchad Unpoe - Les Moutons
Yes, you can rap a lyric by Brel. And the outcome is great, too.

7. Arno - Le Bon Dieu
This is such a brilliant version. Rotten to the core, in a good way.

8. Yuri Buenaventura - Ne Me Quitte Pas
Yes, you can add some salsa to one of the saddest songs ever written.

9. Noir Desir - Ces-gens là
Like a course, this version. Loathing 101.

10. Les Croquants - Jacky
They did a few Brel-covers, this upbeat folky version is my favourite.

11. Achil Komodo - Vesoul
Also very upbeat, very sunny. And very good.

12. David Bowie - Amsterdam
I heard one horrible version of Amsterdam by David and Ute Lemper. Solo is better.

13. Divine Comedy - Jacky
Very Scott Walker-ish. But Neil Hannon is a great surrogate.

14. Paul Armfield - Why Should It Be That A Man Gets Bored? (Pourquoi-faut il que les hommes s'ennuient?)
I don't like it when a singer tries to imitate Brel, and believe you-me, while researching for this post I heard a lot of ba-a-a-a-d imitations. Paul tries a little, but not too much. I never heard the original, but I think this stays close to it. Could be worse.

15. Sting - If You Go Away (Ne Me Quitte Pas)
Really, it's not as bad as you think. He seems to sing it with a Canadian accent, though.

Miscalleneous:

Grooveblaster - If You Go Away
Loungey remix of Ne Me Quitte Pas, tastefully done. I don't know which version G'blaster used, though. Do you?

Les Snuls - Avec
Funny guys, using a Brel-sample in a funny way

Pate Mustajärvi - Nyt (Au Suivant)
Brel in German is terrible - see how long you can stand Klaus Hoffman. But Brel in Finnish? Hmm....

18 opmerkingen:

  1. Thank you for this great finale! The salsaversion made my day! I like (to dance) salsa but I usually hate salsaversions of other songs, however I found this one horribly entertaining. Still, I prefer the original Brel & Buenaventura songs, haha.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Ah... how beautiful! I couldn't imaged a better way to finish this special month. :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Thanks for these - I can't believe you haven't included Emiliana Torrini's cover of Ne Me Quitte Pas though

    let me know if you want a copy

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. I have that version, and it's nice, but Dusty's waaaaay better, and the rest of the covers are all by men. So that's why.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. I've met Paul Armfield a couple of times and been to a couple of his gigs. Very good they were too.

    I heartily recommend his two CDs 'Songs without Words' and 'Evermine'

    Great month, keep up the good work. Now, where have all those girls gone....?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. That song by Luc de Vos is great! I hadn't heard it before.
    He manages to make it sound like a Gorki-song, and perhaps i like Gorki-songs even better than Brel-songs.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. Superb collection, Guuzbourg, Thanks!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  8. Stefan Eicher has covered "voir un ami pleurer" and Zebda has coverd "Jaures".They're good covers . Let me know if you want them
    Domi

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  9. domi, I have those versions. thanks anyway

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  10. "15. Sting - If You Go Away (Ne Me Quitte Pas)
    Really, it's not as bad as you think. He seems to sing it with a Canadian accent, though."

    Sorry, this isn't a canadian accent...Maybe something like a cajun accent...

    Euclide

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  11. even though you dislike the german cover: there are two songs that aren't that bad. Hildegard Knef's version of "Amsterdam" and Marlene Dietrich's "Bitte geh nicht fort" (which is the german version of "ne me quitte pas").
    let me know if you want them.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  12. Great work Guuz,chapeau! But, Hermann van Veen?, come on, he sucks like the mentioned Klaus Hoffmann in German! (Nick-Motown is right: the german versions of Knef and Dietrich are good.)
    The Sting-version? - beside the funny accent, crap...
    And, speaking of the great Scott Walker and the also great Neil Hannon, don`t forget Marc Almond: his record "Jacques" from 1989 is really good: 12 great Brel-Covers in english, including If you go away, the Bulls, I´m coming and the unearthy "My death" (La mort).

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  13. diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, thomas.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  14. Haha, Sting does sound Cajun in that! Though really just like an anglophone who isn't fluent in French. Definitely not as bad as I thought it'd be (but not Canadian at all either).

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  15. Hi, it's my first post here...
    i have some italian singer making Cover of some Brel songs.
    These are the artist: Giorgio Gaber, Duilio Del Prete, Herbert Pagani
    But i don't know how to send it to u!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  16. if u r interested in that italian versions of Brel this is my email: belliefelici@gmail.com

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen