dinsdag 23 januari 2007

Interlude - Here is the News



So, 20 posts under way in the Month of Male here on Filles Sourires. Great posts yet to come, I'm building up quite an archive of brilliant Brel-covers for the closing of this month. But don't think I've lost track of les filles. This interlude is to let you know that the first track from Keren Ann's upcoming, self-titled album is available (thanks to SOM). Keren Ann is out late March. In February, Romane Serda's new album is released, first single T'étais pas là is out now.
Already out is Carla Bruni's second cd - iTunes offers a special inédit of Those Dancing Days Are Gone with vocals by Lou Reed. Funny. Also released: Marthelene's first autoproduit record. To order, go here.
December 2006, Juliette Gréco released a new album, featuring songs made famous by Serge, Brel, Piaf and others. Only heard snippets from that one.
Dutch singer Fréderique Spigt made an album featuring some French songs last year, among those was a translation and tango-adaptation of The Rolling Stones' Terrifying (from the Steel Wheels-album). She did not get permission before the album was released, alas, but recently Jagger & Richards approved her cover. Good stuff!
Surfing on MySpace I bumped into Lilou - a self-confessed Lolita who made a shiny cover of Serge's Harley Davidson. Yelle, Uffie, Lilou, Nadj - electro-grrls rule!
Oh, and the poster in this post is from the upcoming Soirée Gainsbourg in the Antwerp Petrol-club, on March 2. Be there?!

Keren Ann - Lay Your Head Down
Carla Bruni & Lou Reed - Those Dancing Days Are Gone
Romane Serda - T'étais pas là
Fréderique Spigt - Terrifiant (Rolling Stones-cover)
Lilou - Harley Davidson (Serge Gainsbourg-cover)

10 opmerkingen:

  1. Oh my gosh - I can't believe that. I don't know how you like it, but I think it's lame - it just ruined the song for me... yeah, I like the original :p

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. guteNice to read your blog. Wish you like mine.
    http://soleilmavis.blogspot.com

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. new keren ann sounds a bit boring, dontcha think?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Lovely taste < /3

    And thanks, just got Carla's new CD, you lightened up my way to some great artists.

    Alex:K

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. Initially I was very sceptical about Bruni singing 'en anglais', maybe a bit too sceptical. But now - after a while - I have to admit that her record is getting better and better each time I put it in my cd-player. I'm not saying it exceeds 'Quelqu'un m'a dit', but it did surprise me in a way.
    Now let's hope for some early spring-evenings.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. I love the new Keren Ann track, lovely stuff. Can't wait for the new album. Thanks also for Lou and Carla

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. I think I prefer women above men, also if they sing in French :)

    (But there are exceptions, like this, though is probably waaay to indiepop for a site like FS.)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  8. Oh, I didn't know that. :) They, erm, mumble quite a bit, so it took me some time befire I was sure they actually sung in French.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen