vrijdag 4 april 2008

Camille


'It's hard not to be impressed, although occasionally you're beset by the feeling that you may be marvelling more at the journey than the destination', writes The Guardian today on Camille's new album Music Hole. My thoughts exactly. A part from a few songs (like
Gospel with no Lord, Money Note and Canards Sauvages) it gets a little annoying at times. Maybe it's best to consume in small parts. That said, I have heard only real quick, so my verdict's certainly not final.
Nice review in The Observer.

Camille - Canards Sauvages

4 opmerkingen:

  1. From what I have heard so far thanks to you, it's kinda like jazz fusion: more fun playing it as a musician than actually listening to it.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. I've also got issues with the album.

    It's great that she sounds more confident enough to be more playful and explore her vaudeville aspirations but as a result the album seems a bit scattered and restless.

    I agree with the above comment also.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Too bad, but I do have the same complaints (sort of) on her new album. Sometimes her sound-experiments do turn out right (The Monk), sometimes things run completely out of hands (Canards Sauvages). Sometimes she can even make you laugh (Money Note) and sometimes you hear the 'old' Camille (Gospel With No Lord) doing her thing. But to me -in total- it's simply not enough, I would have loved to hear more songs from her with real instruments and less annoying arty-acapella attempts of which she's so keen on at this album. Missed opportunity, because with 'Le Fil' she already proved that she's pretty well capable of writing great songs and at the same time doing her sound-experiments thingie.

    I'm afraid she lost me with this one. But I'll keep an eye open. At least as she remains wearing that gorgeous orange dress.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. the song can still be listened to at hype machine, but, yeah, it's not that great.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen