dinsdag 1 juli 2008

L


Released in February, but recently brought to my attention is Premieres Lettres, the first EP by L. Yes, just L. It's the moniker of a mesmerizing singer who places herself in the tradition of Brel, Brassens and Barbara, singing Chansons à Texte. She also incorporates influences from fado, mornas, jazz and electronica. I'd add Madeline Peyroux as a reference, and Jeanne Cherhal. Almost from the first note, there's a special atmosphere, nostalgic yet timeless. And smokey. On the first day of the smoking prohibition in Dutch bars, restaurants and cafés, L's songs make a nice tribute (this said by a non-smoker) (apart from an occasional spliff). For more on L, see her Myspace and her blog.

L - Petite
L - La Pluie

2 opmerkingen:

  1. 'Petite' is one hell of a song! Could have easily been at the soundtrack from 'Paris' ( http://www.lefilm-paris.com/ ) which I have seen just yesterday. Same atmosphere, a bit bleak, but laid-back and dramatical at the same time. L wrote a classic.

    And I didn't even mention her dress, did I?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. I agree with Samedi. After listening to the songs on myspace I had to get the e.p. off iTunes. Love the blog, by the way.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen