donderdag 18 september 2008

Maids for Marc


Cher Marc Collin,

we met last Monday in Paris, where I interviewed you about Hollywood, Mon Amour. We talked about music from the eighties, about your big hair (also in the 80s), about Versailles and ofcourse about girls. You had that same smile I have when I talk about les filles fragiles. That smirk with a little shyness. Ofcourse you picked the singers you work with also because of their looks. For Hollywood Mon Amour, the vocals are taken care of by (among others) Skye, Nadeah, Nancy Danino and Juliette Lewis. The latter, you told me, you got in touch with after she stated in a English magazine that she would love to work with you. (You also told me she had no clue that all Nouvelle Vague-songs are covers, but I could not write that) (Oops).
You told me the next NV-album will feature duets, les filles with new wave-greats like Martin Gore (Depeche Mode) and Terry Hall (Specials). I heard also you tried out a few French songs, like Amoureux Solitaires and Ça Plane Pour Moi. You said you were working with Buzy, with Anna-O (who I met later at the H,MA-concert) and with Melanie Pain (who was at the concert too, just like Phoebe Killdeer).
After I gave you Filles Fragiles 1, and told you about me and my blog (you said you weren't bothered that I post mp3s), you asked The Question: Do you know French singers, like Melanie Pain, the husky, smokey voiced ones. Because I cannot find them.
When I got hold of myself, because this was like Jesus asking a mortal to explain the bible, I uttered: Cecile Hercule! I gave you her Myspace-url. But I promised you to send you some more names.
Well, here's a few:
-Lisa Portelli, from the North of France. She sounds a bit like Blossom Dearie, childlike but also a bit weird - she's a card carrying member of the David Lynch Foundation, you know. She made two little known albums, that need more attention.
-Mayane and Sylie, aka Brigitte Sisters. Kooky, gorgeous girls who know how to sound sexy and funny.
-Roxane K. The beautful little tease promised an album a year ago, but something got in the way, alas. Still, she's very busy, writing songs, winning prizes. She's a talent that needs to bloom.
-Same goes for folky Sacha. Played her EP to death. She looks like a moviestar from the fifties, sings like an angel.
-Celine Mastrorelli has a great name, looks fantastic and sings both powerful and fragile. Nice.
-And don't forget Marine Boreale. Great name too, great looks. A star-to-be. If Gainsbourg were still alive, he'd want to work with her.
Ofcourse, there are more. Way more. Just wander through this blog, click on the links, and you'll be amazed. Just like me.

Hollywood Mon Amour feat. Skye - View to a Kill

6 opmerkingen:

  1. i love it.

    and terry hall? seriously? i love that even more.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. there's extra space for lisa portelli myspace url.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. sorry, i meant to say extra period...it prevents from opening the link

    also the marine boreale site isn't there anymore?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. http://www.myspace.com/marineborale seems to be the correct address, without the "e"

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. Thanks for noticing. I think all links work fine now

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. When we're talking young and promising I think Chat, who used to call herself Mademoiselle Chat (http://www.myspace.com/mademoisellecha ) until a few months ago, should definitely be mentioned too.
    Chat: http://www.myspace.com/lamusiquedechat

    And let us also not forget about this stunning beauty who manages to write songs even more beautiful than she is herself: Loane (http://www.myspace.com/loane ).

    Oh well, there are so many. Luckily.
    Marc Collin, eat yo heart out!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen