maandag 11 januari 2010

Au revoir Eric



„To put it bluntly, I have to admit that I do not like music. I try very hard to eliminate it from my life and from my films. It irritates me, it annoys me, it tires me, and despite the old saying, it neither improves my morals nor sweetens my temper. I find myself quite at ease in silence.“ (Eric Rohmer)

In Arthur Penn's Night Moves, Gene Hackman says the famous lines: „I saw a Rohmer film once. It was kind of like watching paint dry.“ There’s some truth to it, but it isn’t true. And Rohmer himself (see quote above) also was a dear old liar, at least in terms of silence. His movies are all about talk, parlance, and palaver ... an incessant cascade of endless chitchat at Maude’s flat or on Pauline’s beach. Language has a melody as well, and maybe that’s why Rohmer usually abstained from soundtracks, though he worked with some pop filles – the irresistible Zouzou in L’amour après-midi (1972) or Arielle Dombasle in Le beau mariage (1982). Eric Rohmer died today, aged 89. He went away without asking, as Zouzou once sang.

Zouzou – Il est parti comme il était venu


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten